Scottish Life Magazine masthead: driving in Scotland
scotish life magazine special subscription offer


Great Britain drives on the left-hand side of the road. To drive a car in Great Britain, you need to have a current driver's license. A foreign driver's license is valid in the U.K. for up to 12 months. It is compulsory to wear seat belts in the front seat and if your car has seat belts in the back, they must also be worn. For additional information on driving in the U.K., maps, travel insurance or road service, contact the Automobile Association or the RAC/ Royal Automobile Club, and for up-to-date traffic and roadworks information see the Traffic Scotland web site.

If you're thinking about a car rental in Scotland, you can get an idea of costs by visiting Auto Europe . They'll provide a free quote for car rentals at dozens of locations in Scotland and throughout Great Britain. They also offer chauffeur and transfer services from Edinburgh, Glasgow and London airports to your hotel.